Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Chicken Burgers with Garlic and Rosemary Mayo

I can't believe how long it's been since I've posted on here...not since the end of March! Time flies when you're having fun....and we have been having fun! Since the last time I wrote, we've spent 9 days in Arizona, 6 days in Costa Rica, and a weekend at Sunland.

I was told by a family friend that she made one of my recipes recently, so I thought that was a good way for me to get back in the swing of posting. Tonight I made Chicken Burgers with Garlic and Rosemary Mayo, adapted from Giada De Laurentiis.

I used her general recipe, but did go off the beaten path a bit. Here is my mayo.

I used 1 cup mayo, 1 (large) garlic clove, 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, and 1/4 cup real bacon bits from Costco (because everything tastes better with bacon!)


For the burgers: Start off with 1 lb ground chicken. Add a generous amount of salt and pepper (I never measure my S&P) and half of your prepared mayo.

Stir in all together just until combined.

You're supposed to 'form the chicken mixture into patties' but let me tell you...these babies were not 'formable'. They were way too wet and sticky to make patties with. I never could have put these on the grill; they would have fallen right through the grate. So I heated a nonstick pan over medium heat, put a little olive oil in, and dropped big spoonfuls of chicken (gently) into the pan. Cook for 5 or so minutes on each side...I put a meat thermometer in mine to makes sure they were done so I didn't have to cut into them.


In the meantime, I washed up some romaine lettuce. No arugula on hand, and I had this lettuce that needed to be eaten. So there ya go.


I used the 100 calorie Oroweat Sandwich Thins and brushed a little bit of olive oil on them before putting them in the toaster oven. In all honesty, this was an unnecessary step and didn't add anything, in my opinion. Next time I'd just toast them and call it good.

I spread a bit of the mayo on my bun, topped with the cooked chicken burger, a few pieces of lettuce, and put the top on.
Cut it in half, and served it with watermelon. A great spring/summer meal! Enjoy!

1 comment:

sarahmarie0730 said...

Sounds yummy! I have never cooked with ground chicken before. I will have to give it a try.