Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Gnocchi with Sausage and Spinach
Excuse the terrible picture from my phone...not sure why it's blurry.
This is one of the easiest, most delicious meals I've eaten recently. So much flavor, and the leftovers were wonderful as well. The original recipe came from Real Simple, you can find it by clicking here.
I, as is typical, made a few changes. Here's the recipe as I made it...
1 17.5 oz package shelf-stable gnocchi (I find mine in the pasta aisle at Safeway)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 a small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 lb ground sausage (I buy it in the tube, rather than individual sausage where you need to remove the casings)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 6oz bag of baby spinach (I probably only used half the bag)
3/4 cup (3oz) grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the gnocchi according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil over medium heat in a large non-stick skillet. Add the onion and cook until softened.
3. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling with a spoon, until browned through.
4. Add the garlic, spinach, salt and pepper, and cook, tossing frequently, until spinach wilts.
5. Add the gnocchi and Parmesan and toss. Add in some of the cooking liquid, as you see fit, to make a little bit of 'sauce'. Divide among bowls and top with more Parmesan.