Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Smoky Braised Chicken and Gnocchi

I made this recipe from http://www.realsimple.com/ last week. I'll be honest and say it wasn't my favorite recipe, but that may be due to my own changes.
The recipe calls for 4 chicken legs (drumsticks and thighs). When I showed the recipe to Greg, he said it sounded fine but that he doesn't like the meat on the bone (amazing to me that I didn't know this about him after knowing him for nearly 12 years now). Okay, I thought, I'll just do it with boneless chicken meat. Well, you can't find boneless meat with the skin still on, which I think is where the dish gets a lot of it's flavor. So rather than make the mistake that I did (using boneless, skinless chicken tenders), I suggest following the recipe! ;)

I salted and peppered the chicken tenders as directed. Heated oil in my pan, and added the chicken. After turning the chicken over, I added broth...


Onions...


And smoked paprika

I put it in the oven for 30 minutes, and then added the gnocchi. I used Target's own brand of shelf-stable gnocchi. I would probably use fresh if I made this again, as the gnocchi was rubbery and not very good, in my opinion.

I returned it to the oven, and cooked another 15 minutes or so.
Overall, not a bad dinner. But I highly suggest following the recipe (click the title of this entry for the link) and using fresh gnocchi. Enjoy!

No comments: