Thursday, October 7, 2010

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

In the car after picking Cameron up from preschool on Tuesday, we were going through our normal 'after school conversation'. I was asking what he did, who brought snack, what he had, etc. He told me that he had "Milk!" and I asked what he had to eat and his response was "Muffins!". I asked what kind, and he excitedly said "I had a bamana muffin." No, that's not a typo, that's how he pronounces it, 'baMANa'. :)


I told him that maybe we could make them at home, so as soon as we got home, he was asking for muffins.


I looked up a few recipes in my cookbooks, and found one for which I had all of the necessary ingredients.



Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins
courtesy of Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook


1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup carrot or cauliflower puree (I didn't have either of these purees on hand; I did have some carrots though so I just ran them through the food processor)
1/2 cup banana puree (same thing, just ran two frozen brown bananas through the food processor)
1 large egg white
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups (we chose paper cups with pumpkins on them since it's fall!).

2. In a large mixing bowl, mix 1/2 cup of the brown sugar with the peanut butter, veggie and banana purees, and the egg white, using a wooden spoon.

3. Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and stir to mix. Add to the bowl with the peanut butter mixture and stir just to combine (the batter will be a little lumpy-do not overmix). Add the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar and stir once or twice.

4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, 15-20 mins (mine took about 22 minutes). Turn the muffins out onto a rack to cool.

5. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days or wrap individually and freeze for up to 1 month.

The thing I love about these muffins is that they're super moist. I feel as though they're healthy enough to eat anytime of day (yes, that even means for breakfast with a cup of coffee!).


And here's a (low quality cell phone) picture of my proud little helper with his muffins!

No comments: