Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pesto Pinwheel



We returned from our trip to Arizona last night...and it was wonderful! I'll post some pictures and a bit of a recap once I edit photos. For tonight, I wanted to drop off the recipe I made for tonight's dinner. I started with a recipe I found in my Giada De Laurentiis cookbook for Prosciutto Mozzarella Pinwheels.




I bought my pizza dough from Trader Joe's (the pre-made kind that comes in the plastic bag). I floured my countertop and stretched the dough out. Then, rather than follow the recipe, I decided to add a little Cibo Naturals/Kirkland Signature pesto sauce. This is my absolute favorite pesto...it is so flavorful!




After adding the pesto, I added one cup shredded mozzarella (also from Costco). Then I used one 3oz package of Safeway's Primo Taglio Prosciutto to cover the mozzarella. After that, I sprinkled another cup of mozzarella on top, and rolled it up into a log.


I placed the log on a parchment covered baking sheet and then drizzled the top with garlic flavored olive oil before sprinkling salt and pepper on top. I placed the baking sheet in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for about 20 minutes, and when it came out, it looked like this...




I let it rest for about 5 minutes before slicing into it...


And it was delicious...the bread was soft, the cheese was gooey, and the prosciutto and pesto packed a ton of flavor into every bite. Cameron is hard to please these days when it comes to dinner, and he ate every bite without complaining. That, in and of itself, makes for a lovely dinner...but Greg and I enjoyed it as well! I'm so excited to add another recipe to our dinner rotation!

No comments: